A classic of the European stovetop, the attractive little Moka pot is making a comeback with coffee purists.
- Moka Pot
- Grind 20g of coffee fine
- Unscrew the Moka pot and fill the lower pot with water that’s fresh off the boil.
- Place the portafilter into the top of the lower pot, and add coffee. Tap it to settle the bed.
- Sweep your finger across the coffee to distribute it evenly, left to right then front to back.
- Screw on the top chamber. Use a towel to hold the bottom as it will now be hot.
- Set the stove onto medium heat and sit back and listen. At the right heat the pressure should force a stream of water steadily through the coffee into the upper chamber. Too little heat will result in a lethargic action; if it is frenetic turn the heat down. When done you will hear a gurgle and hiss as the water runs out.
Pour carefully (the handle is often hot due to the small size of the Moka pot) and enjoy your coffee!