Invented in 1941 and still manufactured to the same wood, glass and leather design, this is the only coffee maker included in the MoMA collection.
- Chemex Carafe
- Chemex Filter
- Bring 520g of water to a boil. (Good for 2 cups of coffee)
- Weigh out 64g of coffee and grind coarsely.
- Unfold the filter and load it into the Chemex. We like to line up the folds with the spout.
- Use some of the excess water to pre-soak the filter and warm the glass of the Chemex. Make sure to dump the water before pouring the coffee into the filter.
- Pour your ground coffee into the Chemex, trying to get the “bed” of coffee as even as possible (tap and shake if necessary).
- Starting at the bed’s center, commence pouring approximately 100g of water every minute into the coffee bed, working outwards. Try to avoid pouring directly down the sides.
- Allow 30 seconds for the coffee to bloom, or expand. This maximizes surface area and ensures even water distribution.
Now pour water directly into the center of the grounds, pouring slowly and carefully. We aim to take four minutes for the full pour. Now enjoy your coffee!